Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 1 of the Journey home

I left on the Spring equinox & now am returning just after the Summer Solstice.
Sunday I readied the boat, she's in better shape then when I started down.
Monday I had intended on leaving but a rookie mistake delayed me a day, I didn't check the tides. This is pretty important when you have to drive a 525 pound scooter onto the back of your boat ;D
Nonetheless, I stayed at Poncho's Fuel Dock. Cap't Jack, the proprietor, was very gracious. He filled SunRunner up with ice and water for free & let me stay tied to his dock overnight since a storm was rolling in. I showered after dark with his garden hose (he said too.. lol) went to dinner at a nice restaurant (Castaways) and slept in a cool boat mosquito free..
Today I casted off at 7:30AM and sailed at around 5.2 knots with no motor running.
Then at around 11:30 a storm kicked up with 3' waves & 25 mph winds, I dropped the sails, lit the fire in the engine & motored thru it. I stopped at "Shell Key" for the night- just South of Islamorada @ 3:53 after doing 40 miles.

2 comments:

  1. Oh flip I had such a nice response and blew it...I'll try again tomorrow.,


    you be Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gla to here you're getting out of hurricane alley
    before the season gets going!
    I wish you fair winds and following seas!
    sail safe!
    tymullis@Gmail.com

    ReplyDelete