Thursday, June 25, 2009

Part TWO to day 1............

OK, so right after I posted that last post all hell broke loose!
A big storm whipped up, by big I'm talking 40 knot winds!
It was horrendous, I lost my fishing net and a kayak paddle.
The bimini top (over the cockpit) tore off (I saved it but it's ruined) and most everything else got soaked. SunRunner was tied to a mooring ball....
....but the line from it SNAPPED!!! 8^0
I had the motor running, as I do in any bad storm and I'm glad I did!
I thought the mooring anchor had dragged but at the worst point of the storm I was less then 50 feet from Shell Key!!!!!!! I turned HARD to Starboard and punched the throttle to get away from the key and also to put my nose into the waves so the boat wouldn't get swamped. From there I was in a very shallow area but had very little control.
Finally, after 30-40 minutes of this (wondering if my ship-my house was about to be lost) the winds started to abate but I was aground in mud. My depth gauge showed 0'
The next day, after trying all tricks in the book to get unstuck) I called Tow boat US & the same guy pulled me out again. Shell key is right around the corner from Islamorada where we saw the shark (when we were stuck,lol).
So yesterday was mostly a repair the boat and nerves kinda day but SunRunner still did about 25 miles & is now at Key Largo @ around Statute Mile 1138.

Thr trip home started at SM 1200 and will end at SM "0" ... Norfolk

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh Key Largo...the Key of my dreams for way to long to mention. Bogart & Becall. Anyway, you've weathered the storm put her into the wind and hang on.

    These storms will continue to come and go and also in their severity. Plan your safe harbors as you plan your return home

    AND DON'T FORGET THE TIDES!!! It's anyones guess what it will bring, but at least you'd have warning, unlike that one that just blew in on you last evening. Be Prepared for anything.

    So Sorry about the damage to your bimini, but...maybe all is not lost...there are people who do just that, repair sails and torn bimini's.

    So glad that youo and the SunRunner came through basically un-scathed...couple have been much worse.

    Anyway, we eagerly await your return to our waters and hopefully a couple of days rest and recoup.

    You be Safe! Damn the booty, is necessary, one can always start all over!

    We Love ya Mike and pray for you safe passage North.



    (A couple of Our Father's and Hail Mary's might be in order, ya know)
    Sam 'n Suz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, sounds dangerous. Hope you encounter better weather soon. Have smooth sailing and a safe journey. Be careful and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful buddy! sail safe have fun take your time. Fair winds&following seas
    ty

    ReplyDelete