Monday, July 6, 2009

Miami to Daytona heading home

My Dad & Peter have sailed along with me from Miami. Our destination is their home, near Daytona. We'll be there tomorrow- on July 6th. Today we sailed, out in the Atlantic again, for roughly 70 miles. We trolled for Mahi Mahi (and had a strike but didn't catch any), saw several dolphin plus an unidentified sailfish dorsal, saw a Green sea turtle with barnacles on its' back, came back inside from the Atlantic at Cape Canaveral, entered a lock and was then slapped by a Manatee. I was only going about 1.5 knots when Peter yelled out (from the bow) Manatee! This was just as we entered the Canaveral Lock- so the Manatee was in the lock! LOL. There was a group of onlookers who all must have thought I hit it but Peter said it passed in front of us then dove & actually slapped SunRunner with its' tail!
I was really shook up until I learned I did Not hit it..
Finally we anchored at dusk & had dinner followed by a celebratory Mango Margarita.

3 comments:

  1. YoHoHo Cap'n Mike,
    Manatee slapped your boat huh? Might just bring good luck! Never had a manatee slap my boat.
    Had one slap my face once, at a bar in key west
    of course i didn't know she was a manatee til i woke up next to her the next morning! See also, sea cow.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Ty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you'll be back by then, but Meetin VA BCH is having a big party at your marina!!! I'll check on the date and let you know in case its not til after your return.

    What A Coincidence!!!

    Safe and Happy Sailing friend,
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. August 8, 2009 at Paradock's.
    That's by your slip, no?

    ReplyDelete