Monday, May 18, 2009

Local Life

I've settled into a pattern of living where I have chores that need to get done.

Each day I kayak to shore, tie up under the bridge & then scooter into town to get ice. It's 'interesting' carrying a 20 pound bag of ice on a scooter, lol. I lay it down on the floorboard and secure it with my feet =] Today's trek lacked the fun of every preceding trip I've taken. Yesterday it rained (I'll get back to that in a second) Soooo today there were gnats all over the place (on land) which made riding a scooter, well, unpleasant! So yesterday morning I fired up the grill to scramble some eggs. As it was warming up it started to rain. It rained harder then a cow peeing on a flat rock! [Thanks Sista Connie for that one!] So there I was, "being me" , wondering what to do. I could see the steam rising off the lid of the grill. Finally it occurred to me that I hadn't had a shower for a little while so I marched on out there & cooked my eggs in the rain :P It did a wonderful job of cleaning the salty sandy grime- off the boat too! It hasn't looked this nice in awhile!
Anyway, where was I... oh, also, every morning, I turn on the solar panel to trickle charge my main batteries.
Then I swap out rechargeable batteries on interior lights which have dimmed the most.
Then I go explore locally or kayak over to Boot Key & explore there.
I haven't done any hard core snorkeling yet but plan to tomorrow. Underwater camera and all! After Memorial Day weekend I plan on either moving the boat to Big Pine Key or Bahia Honda for a few days.
I've met several locals who live on their boats. Just south of the bridge I'm near are dozens of live aboards who never move their boats. I think most are pretty much indigent. I've met Cherokee, a nice kid who's parents both ride scooters too, Wolfe- who actually howled at the Moon a few weeks ago when it was full, Nomad (who's an admitted alcoholic) and toothless Larry. ... ya can't make this stuff up, LOL!
Today, as I readied to board the kayak to go get ice, the line slipped away from me & off it went! As I tossed kayak #2 into the water to retrieve it a passing power-boater noticed the kayak floating in the middle of the channel & hollered over to me, "..is this yur kayak?". I said yes & he kept motoring. I would have towed it over had the roles been reversed but that's how it is in the land of power boaters vs sailboaters >:(
What I reallllyyy wanted to say was, "welp, it was but I just like to catch and release 'em" .....

1 comment:

  1. I love your pictures! Hi Morris!! Quite the sailor he is.

    ~Erin

    ReplyDelete